There are lots of activities to do in the area, here is a list of must do’s:
- Climb Mt. Longonot (1/2 day trip)
- Boat ride on Lake Naivasha
- Horse riding – available at Sanctuary Farm
- Bike riding at Hells Gate National Park
- Gorge walk at Hells Gate National Park
- Swim in the natural SPA at Hells Gate National Park
- Pizza lunch at Camp Carnelly’s
- Sit on your veranda at Shwari and the wildlife around you
Shwari employs 5 full time staff who take care of the property including 2 night guards who patrol the area. There is also an electric fence which is turned on at night.
Things to take with you:
- Food for your stay. Houses have fully equipped kitchens with all the common appliances.
- Firewood, the nights do get cold and we do not encourage cutting of trees within the ranch.
- Drinking water. We have running water but it may not be suitable drinking.
- Charcoal. This maybe required if you need to use the BBQ or Jiko (that we can provide).
- Extra blankets. It can get quite cold at night. If you do get cold, it maybe wise to carry some extra blankets.
- Towels. Please bring your own towels for bath and pool use. We do not have a laundry facility so we do not provide towels yet.
- Binoculars. There are over 500 species of birds and many animals. You may want to have these with you at all times.
- Sun Block. The days can get extremely hot so please cover up.
- Good walking/hiking shoes.
There is lots of game on the ranch. Recent sightings of eland, grants gazelle, dik dik, buffalo, hyena and leopard have been made. You will need to exercise caution when walking around the ranch.
There are a few places along Moi South Lake Rd to get the basics, however everything else is available in Naivsaha town including 2 large supermarkets. Here some options if you get stuck:
- Fresh vegetables at Elementaita Weavers near Karaigita Village
- Better fresh vegetables at Oserian Shop
- Milk, bread and other basics are available at Karaigita Village in the local kiosks
- Hotels close by are Sawela Lodge, Enashipai, Naivasha Sopa and Naivasha Simba
- Restaurants are Carnelly’s, Fishermans and Enashipai Café
- Shwari is situated out in the wild. The owners and management do not take any responsibility or liability during your stay and use of the premises and surrounding area.